Monday, March 28, 2011

Home away from home....

First of all, I know that I am such a bad Liver mommy as far as the updates go!  I hadn't realized that the last update was in December!  Ember has been doing relatively well since the last update.  We did have an overnight stay a few months ago at Children's for about of pneumonia.  Even though we hadn't been on the floor with her since she was 8 months old, it was still familiar and it was like we were visiting our long lost home.

Well, Wednesday night we visited our home away from home again.  Ember came home from preschool and had some blood in her stool.  She also had diarrhea with it.  We called the GI Dr. on call and when I talked to him, I had originally thought that it was blood in her urine so he told us that we could wait until the morning and take her to see the pediatrician.  About 30 minutes later, she went again and I knew it was stool.  So, I made the decision to take her to the ER.  My mom rode with us and dad took Autumn.  Ember was already SO very tired on the way up to the ER, but she fought her sleep.  Of course, once we arrived at the ER there was no way she was going to calm down and go to sleep.  Matt met us there and after we checked her in we noticed that the ER was very crowded. 

Once we sat down we were told by some people who were there that they had been there for two hours already.  Ember went to the bathroom several times when we were in the ER waiting room.  Then we were told that the wait was up to 4 hours!  Needless to say it was not a happy wait for us, but she needed to be checked out.  We got back into an ER room at 12:30am. We had arrived at the ER at 8:15pm!  They ran labs and wanted for her to give them a sample.  We tried to get her to go again, but by then she was exhausted and of course she didn't give them one.  We waited for her labs to come back to make sure all of her numbers were good.  They finally told us that they were going to keep her at around 2:30am.  Ember had fallen asleep on daddy and I was sitting in the chair falling sleep too.  They let us sleep actually until her room was ready at 4:30am.  So, we got to her room, got her in bed with me and we all promptly fell asleep. 

Of course when you stay at Children's, you get to see a lot of Dr's!  So, around 6ish they started coming in.  Most of the time I was awake, but sometimes I am sure they thought I was talking crazy.  Ember actually did really well with all of the blood pressure, listening, and temperature taking they did.  She also got the hang of pushing her IV pole around her room by herself pretty quickly.  They pumped her full of fluids and Thursday all day she had no more blood in her stool.  So, we took naps, ate badly, and watched a lot of sprout while she wanted to be held a lot.  She never acted like she felt bad, but I am glad they decided to keep her just in case.  We did get to come home Friday which was good.  Autumn stayed with Grammy J while we were in the hospital and needless to say I missed her.  Ember did too.  She kept asking about her sissy and if she would see her when she went home.

Since we have been home she has been playing and running around like her normal self.  She has been wanting to play outside, but the lovely snow we just got on Saturday has kind of dampened that.  Hopefully spring will hurry up and bring a few warm days so my little ones can get some good park time in!  Ember loves outside time and I can't wait to see how her and Autumn play together at the playground. 

We are going to get her labs done again later this week.  Hopefully there will be nothing more to report.  I will try to give you more updates!  I am sure there will be plenty once the weather warms up!  Oh!  And as soon as she starts her dancing and tumbling class!  Can't wait!

1 comment:

Tina said...

Thanks for the update! I am so glad that Ember is doing better. I am SO READY for the spring weather, too. Poor Murphy...he needs regular walks!